Monday, November 28, 2005

When principles don't mean the same anymore...

Long ago (Must be a really long time. Perhaps, when I was in primary school) I learnt the meaning of the word "principle" from the dictionary. I learnt that "principle" is basis for one's conduct. It said principle is something, which is widely recognized by everyone. It said truth and honesty are examples of principle.

It's been years since then and I am beginning to doubt the idea behind principles. I had understood that one can have only two options - honest or dishonest. Looks like I was wrong. In so many people's opinion, there seems to be an in-between state. I mean, you can choose to tell truth or lie as it suits you; as per your convenience. (I must admit that, though I am ashamed, I have been a victim of this plague too. I try to pacify myself saying that I at least make an earnest effort to be honest; to speak truth. But my mind misgives me.)

So, let's say that one is allowed to tell lies once in a while. But how much? Or how many, if one wants it to be measurable? What percentage of lies can one mix with truth and still be called Honest? Or, should we make the word "honesty" itself a relative, measurable term? Like, I can say, "Jay is 75% honest" and everyone will figure that one in four statements that Jay makes is a lie and can safely be ignored. But you may ask if Jay will also tell you which of those four is a lie? I don't know, (100%) honestly!

A couple of old people whom I know (My CEO and COO, who apparently do not understand their world yet!!!) keep saying that these things should be seen as "black and white". And very obviously those words are largely ignored. No one has time to listen to advices that are difficult to follow. Being right all the time is difficult, if not impossible. Taking the convenient path is more fashionable and easier. For those who have a problem with their conscience, you can safely dismiss the idea of honesty with an "impractical" tag. Does any of the Ayn Rand's readers say "practical" is nothing but what one wants to practice? Dismiss them too with a "psycho" tag.

I can not help but wonder how easy it is for one to mock at someone who is trying to stick to his principles. How easy it is for one to consider that such a person is crazy, impractical and out of his mind.
"Are you Mahatma Gandhi?"
"No, I am not"
"Oh, you are Satya harichandra, then"
"No, I am merely trying to be honest"
"You are nuts. But I am not Mahatma. Leave me alone. Will you?"

Sometime ago, I decided that when someone tells me that I do not have to tell truth all the time, I will ask them if they will say the same to their child. Though I am curious about their response, I never find the courage to ask.

Truth hurts, they say. Truth and roses have thorns about them, I reply. But we don't seem to convince each other. "Be flexible, boy. You have to be a bit more practical", I am told.

That word makes me sick. Usage of that word, to be precise. I ask them, “So, you do not want to practice it, do you?” I know I will not get a reply. And I do not. Truth does hurt, it appears.

No comments: