Friday, August 05, 2005

Driven by Values

I have always had a high regards for my maid servant. She is a nice lady in her forties. Despite language problem and her regular absence I liked her work. Neat is the word I find appropriate.

Whenever I leave something uncovered in the kitchen, she will always do it. Occasionally when I leave the newspaper on floor, she will fold it neatly and put it on top of the table. I never had to demonstrate how to mop the floor cleanly, like I did once to my previous servant. She will always notice when cobwebs appear and get rid of them instantly.

What happened today is something I will remember for a long long time in my life.

This month she was absent more than usual. Though I wanted to tell her that she is becoming increasingly irregular, I never felt like. I know I was not a good employer. I never told her that she does a good job though I should have. I never told her she should be more regular. I never gave her a hike.

I usually pay her within the first 2 days of every month and try not to delay beyond that. This month I failed to visit the ATM every day and could pay her only today, the 5th. When I gave her the money, I said to her in an apologetic tone, "Sorry, late aagiduchu". (I talk to her in Tamil and she speaks Kannada)

She dismissed my apology with a smile on her face and said, "I was not regular to work either, this month"

I was stunned. Not many people have the guts to accept that they have not done a good job. Not many people can recognize the association between duty and rights. These are the people who reassure me that life should be driven by one's values. These people are one of the reasons why I still have faith in human beings.

I am proud to have met someone like her in my life. I really am.

No comments: